The government of Canada announces a new policy to help former international students live in, work in, and continue contributing to Canada!
Foreign nationals in Canada affected by the pandemic with an expired or expiring PGWP will have a unique chance to apply for another open work permit. These will be valid for 18 months and allow former international students to remain in Canada, continue to seek employment, and build their future in this country.
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada estimates that as many as 52,000 graduates with expired or expiring PGWPs could benefit from the public policy. Of nearly 61,000 PGWP holders whose work permit had an expiry date between January and December 2020, about half either have already become permanent residents or have a permanent residence application in processing.
- To apply for an open work permit under the public policy, an applicant must
- have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020 or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date they apply
- still, be in Canada
- have a valid temporary status, or be applying to restore their status
- Applications will be open from January 27 to July 27, 2021.
- Details on how to apply will be added to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada’s website on January 27, 2021.